The internet has caused a profound effect on how people view relationships and identity. From my perspective, it seems that the culture surrounding social media causes people to treat identity like its a form of performance. A lot of people post about their own lives on social media, either to share or to seem more accessible or relatable to their followers. However, whether intentionally or not, a lot of times people will only share appealing parts of their life, or purposefully share aspects to make them look better to their followers.
The carefully manipulated image can be unintentionally misleading to people, who most likely do not know the person outside of their online accounts. I believe that the action of posting on social media blurs the lines between identity and performance, especially due to the nature of internet spaces making most of the relationships one-sided. I try to explore the tension of these relationships common on the internet in my work, by trying to visually show these relationships and the emotions that are created by them. Through the use of surreal and fantastical imagery, I hope to show the emotions and feelings created by these online spaces and relationships.
MENUS, GUI, LAYOUT
This is my other design work. Some of these designs were for my student internship with Irla, some were for classes, and others for personal projects. Programs used are InDesign and Adobe Illustrator.
Falls Church Virginia | 571-329-7090 | firstname.lastname@example.org | sheilaevansmd.com
McDaniel College - May 2020
Bachelor of Arts in Art (Graphic Design Specialization)
Artwork published in Contrast, Spring 2018 and 2019
Artwork accepted into Katheryn E. Wentz Juried
Undergraduate Exhibition, 2019
- Experienced with coding languages such as Java, HTML, and CSS
- Proficient with Adobe Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Outlook
Occasional Summer Camp Teacher at Mindframe Education (August 2021)
Taught children how to use different computer software (OBS, Medibang, iMovie, etc)
Handled the class and fostered teamwork between the children
Treasurer-Secretary of Uncinema Club (March 2017 - March 2020)
- Worked both independently and collaboratively to solve issues
- Helped to organize and plan weekly meetings
- Purchased and maintained materials such as movies for the club
Treasurer of Terror TV Club (February 2019 - December 2019)
- Helped manage documentation, both of inventory and of receipts
- Has learned how to assess situations quickly and solve problems creatively
Co-Vice President of Poetry Slam Club (August 2018 - March 2019)
- Planned out and organized weekly meetings, as scheduled and
coordinated reservations for meetings
- Learned to be adaptable, and accept criticism to improve future creative
- Created a safe environment where sensitive topics can be handled with discretion
Notetaker for McDaniel College (September 2018)
- Improved time management skills, and organization skills
- Learned better listening skills, was able to take notes while still engaging
with the class and the material
Thank you for reviewing my portfolio. Please get in touch to find out more.